Tuesday 30 April 2013

My breast friend.

Finally after waiting for so long, I can now cross out one more thing on my bucket list. I was invited to a small and intimate gathering to listen and talk about breastfeeding.

Nevermind that I don't have any breasts. Or milk. I have gumption! And an inquisitive mind eager to learn all about the mysteries and wonder of breastfeeding and what it means for us guys.

On with the show!

This episode is brought to you by Philips Avent.


I was invited by the good folks at Philips Avent, one of the world's most trusted names in parenting, to share parenting and breastfeeding experiences with other well known blogger moms. One question immediately materialized in the middle of my forehead. What. Am. I. Doing. Here.

It turns out, even if I don't have ample breasts, there is still lots to learn from a guy's perspective. First thing I learned was - when your wife begins breastfeeding your newborn baby, you can kiss those puppies goodbye because you're not touching them for at least a month or two.

Your wife's breasts no longer belong to you. Or even to her for that matter. They've now been hoarded and completely sequestered by your baby. And baby no like to share.

Aside from this, her boobs will hurt. They will be engorged with milk and will be painful to touch. And if she's a new mom, this will be her first time making milk. That means, it will be extra difficult. I've heard moms say that breastfeeding is perhaps the hardest thing they've ever had to do, surpassing even the pains of childbirth.

I'll try to give you a rough (very rough) picture of what your wife might be going through while she's breastfeeding. She's stuck at home for weeks. Unable to go out or do anything except feed your baby from her boob. Her nipples are probably sore and cracked, making each feeding hurt like hell. She hasn't had a decent night's sleep since the baby was born because the baby needs to feed every 2 hours or so. She's constantly feeling anxious, frustrated and worried about her milk supply. Is my baby hungry? Is my milk enough? Is my baby getting both foremilk AND hindmilk? I'm not doing enough! My baby's starving! I'm a failure as a mother!

So. Seeing it this way makes it easier to understand how your wife's boobs have suddenly become like North Korea. Just don't cross the DMZ and you'll be fine.

There are things we can do though that can make this experience better for her. You can start by getting her the right breast pump.

Philips Avent Natural Line Single Electric Pump

You see those petal shaped things on the funnel? It's a soft massage cushion that makes the suction a gentler experience. My wife also tells me that it has deeper suction, meaning you get more milk at a faster rate. She also finds it pretty which to her is a big thing.

Philips Avent Natural Line Twin Electric Pump

The Avent pump is also super portable, powered by either batteries or an adapter wall plug. Pump when you need to and avoid having painfully engorged boobs.

Philips Avent Natural Line 4oz Bottle

Right after you pump, you can remove the bottle and pop a nipple right on for immediate feeding. The entire Avent Natural product line works together making it convenient for mom and less bottles for me to wash. I have delicate hands.

Well made and well designed.

With extra-soft, anti-colic nipples.

The pump itself is really quite small.

Avent has developed their Natural product line with the comfort and wellbeing of moms guiding their design. Expect to find these products on store shelves by mid-May.

But if you want to buy ahead of everyone else, you can email your orders to avent@ljs.com.ph or simply PM the Avent Philippines Facebook page. If you want to give them a call, you may reach Rechella or Angela at 7139435 to 38 loc 134 or 143.

No comments:

Post a Comment